By The Smart Cookie Cook
- 1 head fresh cauliflower, chopped
- 1 bulb fresh garlic
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 3 tbsp. + 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 3 cups milk
- 3/4 cup asiago cheese
- dash red pepper flakes
- more salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spread the cauliflower out in an even layer. Chop the tip of the garlic bulb off so that all the cloves are exposed. Place in the center of the tray with the cauliflower. Sprinkle with 3 tbsp. olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown and tender. Set aside.
- In a large pot over medium-low heat, add the 1/4 cup olive oil and heat. Add the shallot and saute for two minutes. Add the milk and bring to a low simmer. Stir in the cauliflower and garlic and use an immersion blender to reach your desired smoothness. If you don’t have an immersion blender, place the cauliflower in a food processor and puree before adding to the pot.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes. Whisk in the cheese until completely melted then stir in red pepper flakes and salt. Serve immediately, preferably with some good bread for dipping.